Wednesday 1 February 2012

SHEER TERROR'S PAUL BEARER INTERVIEWED! 29/01/2012

After a blinding show at The Well in Leeds, I had a sit down back stage with lead vocalist Paul Bearer to talk about the tour, Sheer Terror, fry- ups and Disney...



BBM: Paul, why have you decided to take Sheer Terror on tour in the UK at this moment in time?

PB: Well we had never played the UK ever in 27 years. We were supposed to come here like once or twice before but it always fell apart. Finally this guy, Francis, got hold of me through the facebook thing and after about a year of it almost not happening it finally came together! And thank God Because I’ve been waiting to come over here for a long time!

BBM: How’s the tour going? What have the crowds been like?

PB: Well it’s the three shows; Bristol, London and tonight in Leeds. And We had a great time doing this… Tonight was a little weird- the crowd like to kind of stand back- they look interested but they’re a little reserved- I don’t know maybe it’s an English thing! But Bristol and London were off the hook! But no we had a great time doing this tonight.

BBM: Which song did you most enjoy performing tonight?

PB: Actually err- only coz it’s the second time we ever did it it’s the Sham 69 song “What Have We Got?”- it’s a favourite song of mine from when I was a kid… And I think we do a good job of it… It’s a lot of fun to play.

BBM: Was there any other reason for covering it?

PB: Well this woman, Diana, at the label we might be working with mentioned us doing a 7 inch- we’re writing songs for a new album which I want to concentrate on really but then I thought what if we do a Sham tribute? 3 Sham songs our way… So it’s “What Have We Got?”, “That’s life” and “Poor Cow”! “Poor Cow” is gonna be totally different from the original- I doubt we’re even gonna be able to do that live the way I have it my head! So yeah we’re gonna do a limited edition 7 inch called “Sheer 69” just for the hell of it! I’m a big Sham fan so it’s just for fun.

BBM: And when can we expect the album?

PB: There’s no ah… no rush to do it- we don’t have a contract with anyone- y’ know we’re open so we’re just writing, taking our time. It’s gotta be done right- I’m not gonna put out a rush job or an album that sucks!

BBM: With regards to your work in the past you’ve remarked that a lot of Sheer Terror’s songs are love songs, contrary to the popular public image of the band- what are some of your personal favourite love songs?

PB: Oh probably err “Handle With Care”- King Floyd, Johnny and Jackey the original version of “Some Day We’ll Be Together”, “Why Must I”- The Heptones- and err… maybe ah “Blind Love” by Tom Waits.

BBM: So a lot of Soul and RnB?

PB: Yeah I love- I love soul and I loved RnB- all the 60’s and 70’s stuff since I was a kid…

BBM: Quite a Traditional Skinhead music taste then?

PB: Yeah but I loved the stuff even before I was Skinhead- as a kid I loved The Jackson 5!

BBM: Do you have a favourite The Jackson 5 track out of interest?

PB: Maybe err “I found that girl”!

BBM: Who or what would you say has been your biggest influence lyrically?

PB: Oh that’s a tough one! Ah lyrically… lyrically… lyrically…Two of my favourites off hand I can say are Tom Waits and Elvis Costello.

BBM: When you’re writing a song or album what’s the most important thing for you to communicate?

PB: Well it’s not so much about trying to communicate with anyone outside of myself. I’m trying to get it out of my system- it keeps me going.

BBM: So your work has a kind of cathartic property?

PB: Oh big time! It’s self- therapy without a doubt- I’ve medicated for years! And this way is a lot less damaging to the body! I mean I appreciate it when people get what I’m trying to say but I’m not expecting them to coz people are gonna take what they want from it and I’m not in a position to tell them that they’re taking it the wrong way.

BBM: In terms of lyrical content I was always struck by the tenderness of a lot of your lyrics juxtaposed with the brutality of the music…

PB: Yeah

BBM: But what do you think of the popular perception of Sheer Terror as largely a force of aggression?

PB: Yeah I mean it didn’t help putting out an album called “Just Can’t Hate Enough”! But you know hatred’s an emotion everyone has- but you need to know why you’re hating and what you’re hating… you know not just blind hate or hate for hate’s sake…

BBM: What was main reason for putting that album out and calling it that?

PB: Well that's just the way I’ve always been and always felt and I have a big mouth and I got something to say and you know, thank God for music so that I have an avenue that I can say what I have to say – I try to write as much as I can so I can say what I want.

BBM: And what’s going on with your other project- Joe Coffee?

PB: We’re stopping trying to be a band because it was getting to be heart breaking! We’re all from the Hardcore scene but we don’t fit on those shows and we didn’t get put on the Indy shows because they’re scared of me or whatever. We like what we’re doing so we’re writing songs and we’ll put out another record- if we play we play if we don’t we don’t.

BBM: Maybe you’d fit better on a stage with The Beltones or Leatherface as opposed to at a Hardcore show?

PB: Yeah I know I heard of The Beltones and yeah Leatherface are great- I saw them twice actually in America- I love Leatherface. Frankie Stubbs; what a man!

BBM: When you’re on stage how much is pure entertainment and how much is genuine Paul Bearer?

PB: It’s a good split I’d say- y’ know I talk the way I talk. Offstage I’m a little more reserved unless I’m 
drunk or whatever! I like being quiet and being by myself and just watching TV or just reading and listening to music… But onstage I get it all out and people are paying good money so y’ know- I give ‘em a show! But off stage I’m a lot quieter- people think I’m miserable or sad- but I’m not I just like being quiet! I’m not gonna talk just to hear my own voice y’ know?

BBM: I mean you talk a lot about love songs and how you’re a quiet, moderate guy but yet you do have this persona of “I’m Paul Bearer, we’re Sheer Terror, we don’t give a fuck” e.t.c. but what do you think of the fairly intimidating public persona you have?

PB: I can understand people being intimidated and whatever like that… but it’s not shtick and I’m not trying to create a persona or anything…

BBM: So none of it’s for show?

PB: No none of it’s for show but if I’m playing a show I don’t wanna be boring! I don’t wanna be threatening either. You can be menacing but entertaining. I don’t wanna act like a tough guy… You get a lot of bands coming out on stage calling people faggots and that and it’s like c’mon are you really gonna talk like that?

BBM: Yeah there seems to be a lot of macho front in Hardcore…

PB: Yeah…

BBM: What do you consider Sheer Terror’s biggest achievement to be?

PB: I don’t know if we’ve hit it yet honestly. Going to Japan was great and coming to England finally…

BBM: Are you enjoying England now you’re here?

PB: Yeah finally! I had a proper fry up this morning for breakfast! I love it! I mean we do great breakfasts but no it was fantastic! I love the black pudding- that’s so good- I think I got high of it! Ha! afterwards I was acting all goofy and like a retard!

BBM: How do you feel about politics being brought into Punk Rock? Do you think it should be part of Punk Rock?

PB: I mean standing up and fighting the good fight and kicking out against all the assholes that are out there is part of Punk Rock but it shouldn’t be like exclusively left, right or middle. I think everybody should have a voice and you should voice your opinions no matter what. Punk Rock is a great medium for that but it opens the door to a lot of kooks… It’s part of growing up… It’s about finding out who you are and what you are and who you wanna fight against.

BBM: You might be seen as quite conservative politically, particularly in light of remarks you’ve made about squatters- how do you feel about those issues, looking back on what you said on record?

PB: Yeah I was just bustin’ balls about all the stuff going on in New York at the time… There was bullshit going on in New York with the squat riots. I grew up in a very loving family- I always had a couch to sleep on even if I didn’t have a bed so I was lucky to have that. A lot of people didn’t have that and they needed to squat but a lot of them just did it coz it was fashionable or Punk Rock or whatever.

BBM: How do you react personally when you’re confronted with religious or political fanaticism in Punk Rock?

PB: Honestly a lot of the time I get a kick out of it!

BBM: Is that because it’s something to fight against?

PB: Well sure it’s something to fight against if it’s a problem or if they’re coming to shows trying to force their views on people. But I get a kick out of it because I like to see what hatred creates… like the guys who hate black people so much yet they sit around making figurines and charicatures of black people… and it’s like they spend a lot of time doing it considering they hate them so much!

BBM: I mean maybe people in the scene take these guys too seriously and give them too much credit when we should be laughing at the absurdity of it all?

PB: Well yeah sure, I laugh them away until they step over the line and if you got to throw a punch you gotta throw a punch. You gotta fight for what you believe in.

BBM: What do you think of the other end of the spectrum- of groups like SHARP and RASH?

PB: Well SHARP was a good idea but then they just became a gang. If you see a 17 year old wearing a Skrewdriver t- shirt and you have a gang of ten attacking him you’re not gonna change him- you’re gonna make him hate even more and it’s never ending!

BBM: Wearing a SHARP badge as a Skinhead almost seems like apologising for being a Skinhead, I don’t think you should have to do that…

PB: No not at all! You’re a Skinhead! You should be like “Fuck you! You’re not supposed to like me!”

BBM: Finally, my sarcastic younger brother jokingly asked me to ask you this but I’m going to do it anyway- What’s your favourite Disney film?

PB: “Dumbo”.

BBM: Why?

PB: I always loved it since I was a kid- and the scene when his mum was locked away I can’t help it- I tear up every time!

BBM: That was quick! I didn’t expect you to answer that at all to be honest- I would have at least thought you’d take a while to think about it!

PB: No! “Dumbo”!


BBM: Paul Bearer, thank you for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment